Re: Why doesn't Oracle care about Linux as IBM does?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 13 Aug 2001 05:53:07 -0700

Who cares about Linux ? Database business is not a field for toy-OS like Linux is. Maybe Linux is really cool, stable, has a lot of features. However question is: Who give me a support for it ? If our company encounter any problem with Solaris, then after one call we'll have building full of SUN consultants, because we're maybe the best SUN client in country. With Linux I need to hire external Linux consultants. I do not know how good they're, because no certificates are available and no strong background in commercial company. Linux is maybe the best platform for Internet servers (like proxy, mail, web), but for database applications commercial UNIXs are more suitable.

P.S. Just my humble opinion. No intentions to start flame wars. :-)

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader