Re: Creating a data warehouse.

From: TurkBear <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 09:10:10 -0500

This response is very 'on-point' - most of the important work in creating a DW takes place before installing/using a single piece of software -it is in understanding the needs/desires of the clients and learning from them how the data is used now and how they would like to use it....
Moreover, there is a long 'data cleansing' process to make sure you are 'warehousing' valid data..This involves extensive consultation with the data producers as well as the data 'consumers' and involves an intimate knowledge of the organization's business rules...( As you have probably now figured out, Data Warehouse design is not a trivial undertaking...)

We use Ascential's Quality Manager for Data Cleansing tasks,  in conjunction with DataStage( it is the Extended Edition, it's actual product code is DSXE so I called it DataStage XE )  and Metabroker plug-ins for Oracle's repository metadata ( we are a mostly Oracle shop) - we also have the Merant ODBC drivers for other data sources..

hth,
John Greco
ETL Tool Consultant
MnDOT