Re: Creating a data warehouse.

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 9 Aug 2001 23:43:48 -0700

"LVF" <lisalou1_at_mediaone.net> wrote in message news:<fUDc7.31645$bm5.12480205_at_typhoon.ne.mediaone.net>...
> Hey Thanks for the input. So what you are saying is that if I have an
> Oracle database configured for a data warehouse, Oracle data warehouse
> builder and an OLTP database full of transactional data I have all that is
> needed to build a warehouse?

I don't think so. My opinion is that technical solutions are not very important compared to business solutions in datawarehousing. There is a big job to do in analytical field, but that's for long debate. You didn't gave us any information about your DW, so is hard to determine the complexity of you DW. Hovewer, only design of DW prototype in banking sector was for me and my team work for ten months and it was mainly about business and design issues not about technical ones.

P.S. I was really suprised when you mentioned Standard Edition. SE is not suitable for even smaller DW, typical DW needs not only EE, but also several extra options.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader