Re: EXP/IMP ... (HELP!!!!!!)

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 9 Aug 2001 06:35:58 -0700

Answers intermixed with questions:

jkyf0131_at_hotmail.com (JK Yao) wrote in message news:<93f65984.0108090035.14f38735_at_posting.google.com>...
> dear all,
>
> I have several EXP/IMP questions.
>
> 1. I exported my database to A.dmp file, and I create another database
> with the same TABLESPACEs, which have different datafiles. Am I able
> to import A.dmp to my new database?

Yes, this is our favorite way of upgrading out test databases. imp full=y

> If I want to do something like this, how can I do?
>
> 2. I am upgrading my database from 7.3.4 to 8.1.6. Which method of
> migrate is better?
> a. Export from 7.3.4 and import to 8.1.6
> b. Use migrate Utility when install Oracle8.1.6
> c. Use migrate Utility first and then export from 8.1.6 and import
> from the export dmp file.

We used the migration utility on ver 8.0.5.2.1 to get to 8.1.6.0 just fine, but when we migrated from version 7.3 to 8.0 the control files grew significantly so you will also probably see this. Personally I would use exp/imp if the size of the database is not too great. Which ever method you choose, you should practice it on a test system to give yourself the opportunity to find any issues (like control file size expansion) before the real upgrade since errors at certain points of the migration require that you perform recovery and then start over.

> Which is the best or any other ways better then what I listed?
>
> 3. During Importing, I got some error mesg, such as PK conflicted,
> long column excess the buffer and excess extent limit in rollback
> segment ... table rollbacked. If those error happen, should I
> continue to import? If I do, how can I fix it after import finish.
> Or How can I fix it before import. I created a new database and run
> catalog.sql and then import. There is supposed to be no data, why I
> still get PK conflict?

User SYS is not exported as it is created with the database, but the create/catalog procedure does create some Oracle objects under SYSTEM which is exported. Are the conflicts on these objects. If so you probably do not need to worry about them as the objects should alreadys exist.

Hopefully you are using the log=log_file_name feature on both the exp and imp so that you can verify no errors occurred and/or resolve them based on the log messages.

> Please help!
> Thanks in advance,
>
> regards,
> JK

I hope this helps you decide/resolve your course of action.