Re: EXP/IMP ... (HELP!!!!!!)

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 20:20:07 +0200

Answers embedded
 Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

"JK Yao" <jkyf0131_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:93f65984.0108090035.14f38735_at_posting.google.com...
> dear all,
>
> I have several EXP/IMP questions.
>
> 1. I exported my database to A.dmp file, and I create another database
> with the same TABLESPACEs, which have different datafiles. Am I able
> to import A.dmp to my new database?

Yes

> If I want to do something like this, how can I do?
>
> 2. I am upgrading my database from 7.3.4 to 8.1.6. Which method of
> migrate is better?
> a. Export from 7.3.4 and import to 8.1.6

This will convert all rowids to the new format and reorganize your tables as well. I would consider this the preferred method.

> b. Use migrate Utility when install Oracle8.1.6

Will not convert rowids, requires datadictionary to be present in 7.3.4 format and 8.1.6 format

> c. Use migrate Utility first and then export from 8.1.6 and import
> from the export dmp file.

You need to use *either* a) *or* b), not a combination

> Which is the best or any other ways better then what I listed?
>
> 3. During Importing, I got some error mesg, such as PK conflicted,
> long column excess the buffer and excess extent limit in rollback
> segment ... table rollbacked. If those error happen, should I
> continue to import? If I do, how can I fix it after import finish.
> Or How can I fix it before import. I created a new database and run
> catalog.sql and then import. There is supposed to be no data, why I
> still get PK conflict?

The PK problem requires more details on your part. Secondly, you can avoid the long problem by specifying buffer=<any arbitrary high number (usually some 8M)>
and commit=y to avoid commit only once per table, which will prevent the rollback problem to appear.
Interrupting an import will create more havoc than have it to continue