Re: Duplicating database (Unix to Win NT)

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 04:50:10 -0700

Hmm, never heard of a development environment that can't be shutdown before! ;)

If there are people using the database, then you can only take a copy of the database at a point in time, You can't capture the work that is still being done. To do this, you'd need to do a full export, CONSISTENT=Y if you're worried about consistency, and import the data back into the 8.1.7 database, provided it's had the relevant catexp* scripts run.

Additions and corrections welcome.

--
Regards

Pete

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not.  It's much harder than that!"
Bruce Pihlamae, long-term Oracle DBA