Meaning of transaction in v$transaction

From: Doug C <dcowles_at_i84.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 00:30:31 -0700

Per a Tom Kyte example..
This is available at
http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p=4950:8:37965::NO::F4950_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:839412906735,{v$transaction}

The long and the short of it is that if I open a session, and then create a situation where I have various locks on 2 tables, I have 2 entries in v$transaction.

Per the note : v$transaction contains an entry for every active transaction.. However - a database transaction is really a unit of work of any number of activities atomically commited or rolled back. And I'm using the term in the sense of what you might find in a book by C.J. Date for example. In this example (the link), there are two entries in v$transaction for one "database transaction". If I were to comit, both entries in v$transaction would go away, even though in the theoretical sense, it is really one database transaction.

Therefore - can I assume this - If I in the course of a database transaction require the creation of different transaction id's, slots in rbs, etc., that that will create different points in time for multi-version read consistency, I will get a new entry in v$transaction. In other words, is it intrinsically tied to the point-in-time that is related to the transaction id that indicates this block is in the middle of being used - use the before image - etc., Emphasis on point-in-time

Just checking... just re-phrasing in my own words.

Thanks,
Doug Received on Thu Aug 02 2001 - 02:30:31 CDT