Re: Meaning of transaction in v$transaction

From: Vincent Ventrone <vav_at_brandeis.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 09:49:11 -0400

"> The long and the short of it is that if I open a session, and then create a
> situation where I have various locks on 2 tables, I have 2 entries in
> v$transaction.

Probably -- I make it a rule to stage controlled experiments & check relevant tables to see if my assumptions & the documentation are correct...

> Per the note : v$transaction contains an entry for every active
 transaction..
> However - a database transaction is really a unit of work of any number of
> activities atomically commited or rolled back. And I'm using the term in
 the
> sense of what you might find in a book by C.J. Date for example. In this

I seriously doubt that Oracle's transaction model adheres strictly to what relational theorists would describe -- Date has been ranting about Oracle's (wrong in his opinion) definition of NULL for years.

> Just checking... just re-phrasing in my own words.

Again I think you need to carry out the experiment you describe then check v$transaction, rollback enntries etc. & see what really happens. FWIW I have found that even Oracle's doc. on such points is wrong... Received on Thu Aug 02 2001 - 08:49:11 CDT