Re: Getting a List of SIDs on a network.

From: FaheemRao <faheemrao_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Aug 2001 10:43:36 -0700

Thanks a lot Billy
You are the Only person who understand my problem correctly.:)

Now Actually I am want to popoulate a list of different SIDs in my application installer.
My application use Oralce Database Now I am trying to Minimize the need of DBA at time of installing my application at client's machine(s).
So now the Person Installing may even dont know what SIDs is . So I need to Populate different SIDs available on that Network(client's Network)and Display these SIDs to User as available Databases on that network.
User selects one SIDs then My application installer will logon as administrator and create tablespace and schema stuff on that database, and configure Net8 to connect to that specific database. So this is the whole story behind it.
Now in this case Tnsnames.ora file may not have that information unless net8 is already configured to connect to that database.

Now your second solution may seems to be good , but it is not necessary that Client have Oracle name server Configured and running , and each listener is registring its SID to oracel Name server.

I have any Idea about it , but I am not clear. I want to use the method which Oracle Enterprise manager does in "Discover New Services" , But I need to do it through My application, its mean I need to know excatly which API is used for this Purpose. Any Ideas ????

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Faheem