Re: Getting a List of SIDs on a network.

From: Patrick <buckeye234_at_excite.com>
Date: 2 Aug 2001 06:44:59 -0700

Just thought I'd add my thoughts .....

faheemrao_at_yahoo.com (FaheemRao) wrote in message news:<43b58913.0108010943.3a98264b_at_posting.google.com>...
> Thanks a lot Billy
> You are the Only person who understand my problem correctly.:)
>
> Now Actually I am want to popoulate a list of different SIDs in my
> application installer.
> My application use Oralce Database Now I am trying to Minimize the
> need of DBA at time of installing my application at client's
> machine(s).

I appreciate your concern, I just wish it were possible.

> So now the Person Installing may even dont know what SIDs is .
> So I need to Populate different SIDs available on that
> Network(client's Network)and Display these SIDs to User as available
> Databases on that network.
> User selects one SIDs then My application installer will logon as
> administrator and create tablespace and schema stuff on that database,

If a user doesn't know what a sid is, there is now way they are going to have the access to the database that allows them to create tablespaces, schemas or complete any 'administrative' type actions. Only the DBA's have that kind of access. Hence, it is not possible to avoid using the DBA's time.

> and configure Net8 to connect to that specific database.
> So this is the whole story behind it.
> Now in this case Tnsnames.ora file may not have that information
> unless net8 is already configured to connect to that database.

We have many different groups within our company. Each has these own a set of databases. For security reasons, they do not know about each others sids ( as much as we can realistically accomplish it). I would be vary weary of any application that tries to 'snoop' my network and discover any servers running Oracle listeners and then the sids that those listener were servicing. If I knew about it, I would not run that application. Period.

One last thought and I'll climb down from my soapbox. I rather appreciate any application that delivers the database scripts seperate from the application installer. I prefer to comb through the scripts and make sure they follow our internal standards where possible. We have been bit by the application that create there own databases, with one tablespace, hmmm ... called system maybe, put all data and indexes into this tablespace and grant every role and system privilege under the sun to the application users schema. I am much more comfortable when I do the work myself, or like I said, can make sure the application's scripts are playing nice.

Lastly, I agree with Billy's comment. Don't try too hard to make the application installer do something it probably shouldn't be doing in the first place. Received on Thu Aug 02 2001 - 08:44:59 CDT