Re: How popular is RMAN for backup?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 22:39:29 +0100

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> "a" <a_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:3B4D8E51.6B84D4DA_at_hotmail.com...
> > We are not using rman, to me, it is like to joke, you have to use a
> > database to backup all the other databases, if your rman is down, all
> > your databases are at risk.
> >

> Yes, and if I'm not very much mistaken, if the machine that runs all your
> EMC software is stuffed, er, all your databases are at risk!
>
> Come off it! There's always one point of weakness in any set up. Your job
> is not to say "forget it", but to minimise the risk.
>
> As for RMAN 'having to use a database', (a) that's factually incorrect and
> (b) even when you do use a database, you are supposed to protect the RMAN
> database by creating a catalog in another database, and using *that*
> catalogue to protect RMAN. And that catalogue is supposed to be in one of
> the databases that RMAN is backing up. A question of 'you scratch my back
> and I'll scratch yours'.
>
> As an argument for not using RMAN, it's weak.
>
> Now if you'd moaned about the arcane scripting language, the feeble
> documentation, the sensitivity of the syntax, maybe fair enough. But the
> fact that it uses a database for storing what it's done does not render the
> product a heap of crap.
>
> HJR
>
> > Actually, we are now let SA to take care of backup, they use EMC
> > software. From DBA's point of view, we just have a standby database, if
> > we really need something from tape(very rarely), just talk to the SA. I
> > really do not see the need to use RMAN at all.
> >
> > dominica_at_secondhat.com wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Everyone,
> > >
> > > How popular is using RMAN for Oracle backup?
> > >
> > > I use to write my own dynamic script to generate
> > > which tablespaces and redo logs files to be
> > > backed-up for HOTBACKUP.
> > >
> > > And my friend recently tell me RMAN become more
> > > and more popular and I am trying to learn RMAN now.
> > >
> > > But very curious how do other senior Oracle DBA like RMAN.
> > >
> > > I think it is pretty confusing to me for now.
> > >
> > > Please email me directly to dominica_at_secondhat.com
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
> > >
> > > Dominica

I agree - but it would be nice to have RMAN handle split mirror style backups a little better. The (8i) doco says "yes, RMAN can handle this - you use Rman to put each tablespace in backup, split the mirror, and then use Rman to end the backup"... Hmmm, doesn't sound too much like Rman to me.. :-)

--
Connor McDonald

http://www.oracledba.co.uk