Re: 9.0 or 8.2 ?

From: Brian Peasland <oracle_dba_at_qwest.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:57:57 GMT

> I read a lot of papers about 9i but I'm wondering what's really new with
> it. A lot of things are "improved", others changed their name, but I'm
> not able to see something really new. It seems more a 8.2 than a 9.0. Or
> am I wrong?

I surely don't disagree that it could have been called 8.2 instead of 9.0. But it's a marketing thing.

New features specifically new to Oracle 9i? How about UNDO tablespaces instead of rollback segments? How about Oracle-managed files? How about the ability to quiesce the database or suspending/resuming the database? Just a few that are new to Oracle 9i. Granted, it's not a lot and it's not a big jump in features such as Java in the database, but it's new...

HTH,
Brian Received on Tue Jul 24 2001 - 07:57:57 CDT