Re: Help: Standby database config.

From: Daniel A. Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 22:53:02 -0700

Paul Drake wrote:

> u518615722_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net wrote:
>
> > A friend of mine suggested me to config our standby database
> > withoutusing managed recovery because of the following reason:
> > If you have corruption or bad data get into the online db you have no
> > way to easily spot and stop that data from automatically migrating into
> > the standby db. If you keep everything the same but only apply the
> > recovery on the failover side every 2 hours or so you then have 2 hours
> > to catch and stop the recovery. like recover to a point in time just
> > before the corruption. The way you are doing it now with managed
> > recovery I don't think it buys you much failover capability.
> >
> > Is this really a good idea?
> >

> > >Not in my book. A stand-by database that can't be brought up in a
> > >minute or two isn't a stand-by database. Exactly what form of
> > >corruption is your friend thinking is going to occur in the redo logs?
> > >Daniel A. Morgan
> >
> > What he means is that if somebody drop a table mistakenly or something.
> > If we just let oracle write all the logfiles to the standby destination,
> > but only apply 2 hour behind of them, when we need to bring up the
> > standby database, we can apply the rest of it. Otherwise, we can use
> > it for recover until time.
> >
> > thanks
> >

> Why not export the database weekly

Because that is NOT a standby database. If your primary instance goes down of what possible value is something that is a week out of date?

There are many good solid methods for keeping a standby database current within a single log file. As long as many such options exist I can't think of any reason for being out-of-date.

Daniel A. Morgan Received on Sun Jul 08 2001 - 00:53:02 CDT