Re: Help: Standby database config.

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2001 21:31:56 GMT

u518615722_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net wrote:

> A friend of mine suggested me to config our standby database
> withoutusing managed recovery because of the following reason:
> If you have corruption or bad data get into the online db you have no
> way to easily spot and stop that data from automatically migrating into
> the standby db. If you keep everything the same but only apply the
> recovery on the failover side every 2 hours or so you then have 2 hours
> to catch and stop the recovery. like recover to a point in time just
> before the corruption. The way you are doing it now with managed
> recovery I don't think it buys you much failover capability.
>
> Is this really a good idea?
>

> >Not in my book. A stand-by database that can't be brought up in a
> >minute or two isn't a stand-by database. Exactly what form of
> >corruption is your friend thinking is going to occur in the redo logs?
> >Daniel A. Morgan
>
> What he means is that if somebody drop a table mistakenly or something.
> If we just let oracle write all the logfiles to the standby destination,
> but only apply 2 hour behind of them, when we need to bring up the
> standby database, we can apply the rest of it. Otherwise, we can use
> it for recover until time.
>
> thanks

Why not export the database weekly
(or export each schema every 7 days on a staggered basis) compress the export and archive it.
If you need to recover a dropped table, simply import the table into another schema from the dump file
(fromuser=, touser=) and pull the lost data in?

if you save your (compressed) backup sets, you could create a new controlfile for an old (consistent) backup set, open it as a renamed database and pull the data from it - but this would require more storage (unless you drop all datafiles not required in a mount state before opening it). I am not sure about recovering from a hot backup set that is renamed, but not yet recovered, as I have only done this from a cold backup set (consistent) - from cloning a PROD db for use as a TEST db.

Standby is not the only method of recovering data from user errors.

hth,

Paul Received on Sat Jul 21 2001 - 16:31:56 CDT