Re: long datatype good?

From: Aznable <termy_at_blunet.it>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2001 09:41:32 +0200

> I have a table with a long column, which causes problem exporting or
> creating 2nd table as select * from it.

U can do that thru COPY command of sqlplus U have to set the max length for the long datatypoes thru

SET LONG xxxx
where xxxx is the max length
then issue the COPY command

> Does anyone know if long datatype is good, or varchar2
> (2000) good?

If u can use varchar2 is better than long command. Remember that varchar2 from relase 8 (or 8i i dont remember exactly) can b 4096 byte long. I discourage the use of LONG datatype because is not manageable, also Oracle discourage it (You can use LOBs types instead)

> If I move them around, and there are10,000 rows of long column value, what
> would be the better way to do the scripting?

The simplies way is to do with COPY command Received on Sun Jul 08 2001 - 02:41:32 CDT