Re: Performance penalty when turn on timed_statistics

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 20:02:16 +1000

The standard advice is that if you notice a performance impact from setting timed_statistics=TRUE, then your database is clearly running like a dog with an amputation anyway, and you probably need the insight that timed statistics will give you.

In short, a reasonably OK production database will not notice the setting, but the benefits to be gained from setting it are potentially large. A database that plods along with the aplomb of a pregnant elephant might notice it, but is in desperate need of the benefits to be gained from setting it, and thus you should learn to live with it for the duration.

Regards
HJR

--
The views expressed are my own only, and definitely NOT those of Oracle