Re: Blind user having problems with Oracle 8i and Windows 2000 Server

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 07:18:46 GMT

Sounds like you may not have started up the Oracle or TNS Listener services.

Oracle is not an easy system for a novice to get up to speed with quickly. I always recommend the OReilly 'Oracle Essentials' book (reference link http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oressentials/ ) to help people quickly understand the architecture and base DBA philosophy. (It's a relatively short and very concise book). This might not be satisfactory in your circumstance unless OReilly has suitable support.

If you are using a formal trial or a supported copy of the software, you might want to contact the local Oracle office. Some of the presales technical people might be able to spend a short time to get you up to speed, or at least point you to the local Oracle Users Group.

/Hans