Re: Blind user having problems with Oracle 8i and Windows 2000 Server

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 19:01:34 GMT

Adrian Beech wrote:

> After rebooting the machine I get the following when trying to log into
> SQL Plus:
>
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist
>
> Adrian Beech
> a.beech_at_bigpond.net.au

Hi Adrian.

It is likely that the Oracle Service was not started, or the Oracle Service was started but not configured to start the instance. It is also possible that there is an NT permissions problem. We'll sort this out.

We will work on configuring the operating system service to properly start the instance.

Assumptions:
For this example I will assume that you have called the database name "ORCL"
and that the listener is called "OracleOraHome81TNSListener". We'll also assume that the parameter file resides in the directory 'D:\Oracle\Admin\ORCL\pfile\initORCL.ora'.

Are you logged in with the same NT user account as when you installed the Oracle 8i Server binaries?
I'll assume yes. That user belongs to the local group "ORA_DBA" and has permissions to start and stop the Oracle instance.

At a command prompt - type "net start" and determine if the service is started.
It will be named "OracleServiceORCL".

While we're here, determine if the listener is started - "OracleOraHome81TNSListener".

Okay - so lets assume that both the listener and service are started.

we're still in the command prompt.

set the environment variable ORACLE_SID

  C:\> set ORACLE_SID=ORCL

now start server manager - you will now be at a server manager prompt:

C:\>svrmgrl

Oracle Server Manager Release 3.1.7.0.0 - Production

Copyright (c) 1997, 1999, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

Oracle8i Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production
JServer Release 8.1.7.0.0 - Production

SVRMGR> now type "connect internal"

SVRMGR> connect internal
Connected.

you are now connected with the SYSDBA role.

type "startup"

SVRMGR> startup
ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area                        228247580 bytes
Fixed Size                                          75804 bytes
Variable Size                                   126451712 bytes
Database Buffers                                100663296 bytes
Redo Buffers                                      1056768 bytes
Database mounted.
Database opened.

the instance should be created, mount the database and open the database.
if not, the error may be that the default path for the initialization file in the registry is not correct.
lets then attempt to start the instance again by specifying the full path:

SVRMGR> startup pfile='D:\Oracle\Admin\ORCL\pfile\initORCL.ora'

This should then startup the instance, assuming that the path is correct.

Now, we still have to correct the problem as to why the instance is not starting.

This could be due to the following:

  1. service is not configured to start instance.
	run the registry editor
	under key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE ORACLE HOME0
	file the value:

		ORACLE_ORCL_AUTOSTART - it should be set to TRUE

2. known bugs in the version of the Oracle Server binaries - nay need to apply patches.

        If you are using Oracle 8i Release 2 - please apply patch sets 8.1.6.3.0 and 8.1.6.3.4.

        If you are using Oracle 8i Release 3 - please apply patch sets 8.1.7.1.1 and 8.1.7.1.2

3. default path for initialization file is wrong 4. one or more parameters in initialization file is wrong

You may need to edit the registry to correct the path to the init.ora file.
Or - you may need to edit the filename of the init.ora file. Typically, the path in the NT registry for the pfile is 'D:\Oracle\Ora81\Database\initORCL.ora'. In this file, is a single line containing:

IFILE='D:\Oracle\Admin\ORCL\pfile\initORCL.ora'

I hope that this handled the error.

Paul Received on Sun May 13 2001 - 14:01:34 CDT