Blind user having problems with Oracle 8i and Windows 2000 Server

From: Adrian Beech <a.beech_at_bigpond.net.au>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 12:18:32 GMT

        Hi all,

I am an absolute novice when it comes to Oracle. So it would be a fair comment to say that I do not know what the heck I'm doing a this stage.

I've installed Oracle8i EE release 3 (8.1.7) on a Windows 2000 Server system. The database was up and running after the installation. However it will not start when the system is rebooted.

I know Oracle was up and running immediately after the installation as I was able to use both SQL Plus and TOAD. I also used ODBC to link an Oracle table, which I created using TOAD, in an MS Access database.

I did a typical installation and used all the default settings during the installation process.

After rebooting the machine I get the following when trying to log into SQL Plus:

     ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
     ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

     Details:

*** First assume we have a valid install and registry
Building Oracle HOMES List HOME Name OraHome81 added to list. Found multiple homes, searching each HOMEx for valid PATH searching in SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0 Oracle_Home found in SOFTWARE\ORACLE\HOME0 IS in system path!
***
Oracle home is set to E:\oracle\ora81 Bin path is set to E:\oracle\ora81\bin\ oci.dll found Using: E:\ORACLE\ORA81\BIN\oci.dll

I did no post configuration after the installation. Have I missed something?

To make things a little more interesting I am a totally blind user! The documentation as provided in the download is not that accessible. So as you can see I'm having a lot of fun!

I'm in desperate need of some help. So if some kind soul can tell me what is going on I would be forever grateful.

Adrian Beech
a.beech_at_bigpond.net.au Received on Sun May 13 2001 - 07:18:32 CDT