Re: Locally managed tablespaces and migrated rows

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 22:22:07 +1000

What you have to appreciate is that we work in a little isolation room, as it were. We see the course notes, note the theory, test it out (some of us at any rate), and use our common sense as to whether a feature is any good or not. Unfortunately, we don't get to live in the real world where we find out whether X or Y is a life-saver, god-send, or a marketing feature, for real.

The best we can do is relate those experiences where we see the nonsense and the pitfalls (the one about a 55Mb application suddenly taking 600Mb+ is a true story that I witnessed).

There is a huge gulf between the training room and the real world, and nothing can eradicate that. A good trainer will point that out, but I agree that most don't, can't or won't. Personally, I crave for the anecdote and the personal cock-up, because it's through them that you work out when theory goes to pot. I have an 6-PC network in my spare bedroom for a reason: I use the product for real to try and get as realistic a grip on it as I can.

And you *learn* (any trainer that doesn't learn at least one thing per course is not doing the job properly, I reckon). And one of the things you ought to learn is that that which sounds like a good idea with no qualifiers turns out to be a disaster in the hands of the enthusiastic neophyte.

As for this particular one: I don't know who you work for Nuno, but since around May last year, until around January this year, there hasn't been anyone else in Sydney teaching Oracle DBA apart from yours truly, so I feel kind of guilty. I could *swear* that I ALWAYS point out that anything in Oracle requires the use of common sense, a due sense of testing before implementing, and the working out of whether something makes sense in a particular situation. But I see the rolling eyes in the head by Friday, and know that some of it doesn't go in.

With a due sense of humility, and a dawning sense of failure, I can report (but probably oughtn't) that Oracle have been good enough to take me back for the duration, and I take the comments I see in this thread to heart, and will do my best (as I thought I had been, but clearly haven't) to stamp out the overly simplistic approach in future.

This is a rich product we're working with, and I agree that we need to be richy-minded to deal with it all.

Regards