Re: Question concerning recovery in time

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 11:52:50 +1000

"Frank an der Heiden" <fh_at_energotec.de> wrote in message news:9ckoi9$60j$1_at_oxygen.technet.net...
> hi folks,
>
> let's say, I have a database, running in archivelog-mode
> and I do an online backup of my databasefiles.
>
> it's no problem to recover the database in the "normal" way,
> as long, as I have all neccessary archivelogs, redo-logs and controlfiles.
>
> but what about this backup-set, if I do a recover until time and
 afterwards
> an alter database open resetlogs.
>
> is my backupset (with backupset I mean my databasefiles) usable any
 longer?
> I would say no, because the SCN in the controlfile is reset, but I'am not
> 100 percent sure.

Yes, it's unuseable. Which is why the recommendation is always to at least copy the control file and the online redo logs of the system somewhere safe *before* attempting to do the restore and recover. If you do that, perform the open resetlogs, and discover that the recovery hasn't worked properly, then all you do is to restore the datafiles from your "proper" backup, and the controlfiles and redo logs from your 'safeguard copy', and you can have another go. But without that safeguard copy, you are totally stuffed, it is true.

Incidentally, Oracle's training materials always suggest you perform a complete, closed backup of the database prior to attempting recovery: but that's actually unnnecessary. It's only the control files and redo logs which absolutely *need* the protection of that extra backup (which must be done cold, of course).

Regards
HJR