Re: Online backup: Backup online redologs?

From: Charles Fisher <charles.fisher_at_alcoa.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:04:39 GMT

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

>>> See above. It makes no sense to backup the online redo logs. They've
>>> already all been backed up to the archives, with the exception of the
>>> current log. If you are that concerned, then a switch log file will
>>> cause
>>> that to be archived, and by backing up that last archive, you've got the
>>> lot.

EXCEPT that you cannot execute the output of 'ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE' without the presence of the redolog files, one of which must be marked as active.

What is really the difference between a restore with a hot copy of the redo and a recovery of a crashed instance which corrupts a number of tablespaces? Wouldn't each situation introduce the same sort of corruption?

It would make much more sense if there were an option to the CREATE CONTROLFILE statement to create blank redologs. Oracle should struggle to make this easy; this ambiguity is not useful.

I don't understand why people are so evasive on this issue. Received on Mon Apr 30 2001 - 14:04:39 CDT