Re: imp00069 error - help needed

From: David Pomphrey <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:53:09 +0100

Your NLS_LANG environment variable is

  1. not set or
  2. set to US7ASCII

If a) is true, import will set the value to b) automaticaly.

If the export was done in an 8-bit character set, importing using a 7-bit 'fiter' will force the loss of information, 1 bit for every byte.

If it can, Oracle will map as best as possible all 8bit characters to 7bit ones. Not that I agree with it trying to do this at all though.

Luckily for you, it has decided, for some other reason, not to let you squeeze the exported data through 'too narrow a pipe'.

If possible, find the character set of the database that was exported. Read up a bit on NLS parameters, and then set NLS_LANG to the appropriate one, just before you start the import.

D.P.