Re: oracle doesnt start

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 06:11:34 GMT

ed zappulla wrote:

> ugh! i have a new install of oracle. 8.1.6/win2k. the OracleServiceOracle
> does not start when the machine reboots. If I use db admin to start it I
> get an error "error processing initialzation parameters". If i browse for a
> def_init.ora file then it starts. I deleted the data base using the db
> config assistant and created a new one. it starts during the install. when
> I reboot. Bam! no start.
>
> Any ideas?

patch to Oracle 8.1.6.3.4.

login to metalink and get the patch.

make sure that all Oracle Services are stopped prior to applying the patch.
also check that any other programs are stopped that could be locking .dlls in the %ORACLE_HOME%\Bin
such as Apache, Backup software agents and snmp agents.

create a cold backup set before applying the patch.

after applying the patch, rebuild the data dictionary (covered in the readme in the patchset).

one question - why not use an init<SID>.ora file and start the db with sql*plus?

hth,

Paul Received on Sun Apr 08 2001 - 01:11:34 CDT