Re: Upgrading from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:03:55 GMT

> Ill be upgrading a customers database from 8.0.5.0.0 to 8.1.7 and the OS
> from WinNt 4.0 to Win2000. Its a small
> database, approx 5 giga. I have experience with 8.1.6 but still only from a
> testing environment.
>
> Anything to remember when migrating (using exp and imp)?

You had it right the first time. Going from 8.0.5 to 8i is an *upgrade* not a *migration*. You will not have to use exp/imp for this conversion. The Oracle 8i Migration Guide details this pretty thoroughly, but the conversion process is basically just running one script.

> Any known bugs in 8.1.7?

Of course. With all versions, there are known bugs. You may run into them or you may not. (There were bugs in your old 8.0.5 version too).

> Anything to do or NOT to do in 8i?

Do everything as well as possible and don't do anything poorly! :)

> What new features in 8i would you use? Ill go for locally managed
> tablespaces. Any other features (that dont have known bugs) that are good to
> use? I rember some bugs concerning function based indexes?

LMTs are a good new feature to exploit. Function based indexes have improved considerably in 8.1.7.

> Due to a softwareproblem I will need to use 8.0.5 clients, both on the
> server itself and on LAN clients. There will be running applications
> directly on the server (an economic decision, not mine!) Apart from the fact
> that 8.0.5 clients on Win2000 are not supported by Oracle, will I run into
> trouble running 8i server(one or two instances) and 8.0.5 client on the same
> machine?

No, you can run these simultaneously on the same server.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at