Re: Upgrading from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7

From: Paul Drake <paled_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:21:31 GMT

Peter Laursen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Ill be upgrading a customers database from 8.0.5.0.0 to 8.1.7 and the OS
> from WinNt 4.0 to Win2000. Its a small
> database, approx 5 giga. I have experience with 8.1.6 but still only from a
> testing environment.
>
> Anything to remember when migrating (using exp and imp)?
> Any known bugs in 8.1.7?
> Anything to do or NOT to do in 8i?
> What new features in 8i would you use? Ill go for locally managed
> tablespaces. Any other features (that dont have known bugs) that are good to
> use? I rember some bugs concerning function based indexes?
>
> Due to a softwareproblem I will need to use 8.0.5 clients, both on the
> server itself and on LAN clients. There will be running applications
> directly on the server (an economic decision, not mine!) Apart from the fact
> that 8.0.5 clients on Win2000 are not supported by Oracle, will I run into
> trouble running 8i server(one or two instances) and 8.0.5 client on the same
> machine?
>
> TIA
> Peter Laursen

Peter,

Depending upon the extent sizes used in the datafiles, I'd think about the export/import.
Reasons to export/import:
- You won't have to convert your dictionary managed tablespaces to locally managed tablespaces.
- You get to pre-create the objects - with new storage parameters (ideally those of the tablespace)
- a fresh import in a new datafile will place an object in contiguous extents.

A chance at a fresh start, when people are expecting downtime? Sounds like an opportunity.

Can you use 8.0.6 clients instead of 8.0.5?

Paul Received on Tue Apr 10 2001 - 02:21:31 CDT