Upgrading from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7

From: Peter Laursen <ptl_at_edbgruppen.dk>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 14:42:41 +0200

Hi,

Ill be upgrading a customers database from 8.0.5.0.0 to 8.1.7 and the OS from WinNt 4.0 to Win2000. Its a small
database, approx 5 giga. I have experience with 8.1.6 but still only from a testing environment.

Anything to remember when migrating (using exp and imp)? Any known bugs in 8.1.7?
Anything to do or NOT to do in 8i?
What new features in 8i would you use? Ill go for locally managed tablespaces. Any other features (that dont have known bugs) that are good to use? I rember some bugs concerning function based indexes?

Due to a softwareproblem I will need to use 8.0.5 clients, both on the server itself and on LAN clients. There will be running applications directly on the server (an economic decision, not mine!) Apart from the fact that 8.0.5 clients on Win2000 are not supported by Oracle, will I run into trouble running 8i server(one or two instances) and 8.0.5 client on the same machine?

TIA
Peter Laursen Received on Tue Apr 03 2001 - 07:42:41 CDT