Re: Questions about machine

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 12:41:06 +0200

Answers embedded

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

"Martin Kleinman" <mkleinman-spm_at_desyde.nl> wrote in message news:9a49rl$934$1_at_news1.xs4all.nl...
> I've got the following machine and software.
>
> Pentium 400
> 384 MB memory
> WIN NT 4.0 with SP 5.0.
>
> Oracle 8.1.7 Database
> Oas 4.0.8.1 webserver
>
> The system is running stable but slow..
>
> When the database is started the system is already using 450MB memory and
> after starting up OAS it uses the whopping amount of 550MB!
>
> And the database installation is MINIMAL (SGA size about 60mb). The Oracle
> process is only using 90mb when I check it on the processes tab.
>
> The questions I've got :
>
> - Can I install WINNT SP 6.0a on the machine without the risk that Oracle
> will stop working?

Yes, in fact you should do that

> - Is there a way to speedup the database/webserver?

Make sure you are running with a minimal setup when Oracle and OAS aren't running.
Get rid of all the Microsux provided funnies like ftp, dhcp, iis, and whole lot of others. No doubt when you stop using Oracle you will still use way too much memory.
Also you should use a NT server, not a PDC or a BDC

> Will an upgrade to 512MB memory solve my problems?

It will at least help, but of course you might ask whether it is desirable to run OAS and Oracle Server from one server. I wouldn't do that, or I would make completely certain OAS doesn't use the TCP protocol to communicate with the server.