Re: Questions about machine

From: Ben Kleinman <Ben_Kleinman_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2001 19:33:10 +0200

> > - Can I install WINNT SP 6.0a on the machine without the risk that
 Oracle
> > will stop working?
> >
> Yes, in fact you should do that

I was in doubt when I installed WIN NT . Because one of the two isnt certified for sp 6a (sp 5 was recommended)

> > - Is there a way to speedup the database/webserver?
>
> Make sure you are running with a minimal setup when Oracle and OAS aren't
> running.
> Get rid of all the Microsux provided funnies like ftp, dhcp, iis, and
 whole
> lot of others. No doubt when you stop using Oracle you will still use way
> too much memory.
> Also you should use a NT server, not a PDC or a BDC

Its a stand alone server and I havent intalled anything. (no ftp/iis/dhcp etc).

> > Will an upgrade to 512MB memory solve my problems?
>

> It will at least help, but of course you might ask whether it is desirable
> to run OAS and Oracle Server from one server. I wouldn't do that, or I
 would
> make completely certain OAS doesn't use the TCP protocol to communicate
 with
> the server.

I know ,but becuase our budget is limited (its a private project ;]. maybe you know it. http://www.flitspaal.nu (you're dutch looking at your email address ;]], so you probably know what I mean ;]]] )

And because my company wanted my to move to my own servers I decided to put it all on one machine because of very limited budget .. We used left over parts

Asus p2b, P400, 512mb memory etc. 20 gig hdd . we bought the memory and the hdd tghough.

When NT is running all by itself (without any oracle process) it uses approx 35MB (next to nothing ;]] ) when the Database is started its already 450mb and when the OAS is started its a whopping 550mb.

The funny thing is though I can't find WHAT is using so much memory. We got some help from our dba when we installed the database and he said our installation already was a small one. And the processes tab only says 90mb is used for Oracle process.

We left our SGA standard for the database, we installed J server though (maybe that is our big problem ;[ ))

The server must be ready by monday because then we appear in a television program and our machine MUST be up to speed... don't want to dissapoint any new visitors ;]]]]].

Thanx in advance

Regards
Martin Kleinman . Received on Sat Mar 31 2001 - 11:33:10 CST