Oracle on Linux performance problem

From: <SQLGuy_at_aol.com>
Date: 25 Feb 2001 06:07:49 GMT

I am having a performance problem with Oracle 8.1.6 SE on Red Hat Linux 6.2. I am running a program written in Delphi 5 using the BDE to access Oracle. When I had Win2K and Oracle8i installed on the database server the program (on my client machine) would return the results of a particular query (56,000 records) in about 30 seconds. After installing RH 6.2, Oracle8i, and the same database on the database server the same query now takes 9 minutes and 10 seconds. The server is a Compaq ProLiant dual PII 400 with 1 GB of RAM. I set the shared memory / semaphore parameters and rebuilt the kernel before installing Oracle and the SGA, etc. is setup exactly as it was on Win2K.

I actually think that the problem is more of a Linux thing than an Oracle/Linux thing. The reason is that I ran tkprof on the query when the server was Win2K and now that it is Linux and I received the same results of 8 seconds on both. I ran top on the Linux box and observed about 25 seconds of activity before the CPU and I/O dropped to 0% which sounds about right. However, the results of the query do not show up on the client side until 9 minutes later. Just to make sure that it wasn't a hardware issue with that machine I install RH 6.2, Oracle8i, and the database on another PC (PII 266 with 192 MB of RAM) and the query takes...guess how long...9 minutes and 10 seconds. It seems to only happen with about 10,000 plus records because if I only access about 5,500 records I get the same response time on the client side as when the database is on Win2K. So what is the problem with Linux? I am thinking it is some configuration issue...hopefully something simple. Any ideas? Please provide any input you have. I really need to have this server working correctly by Monday.

Thank you in advance,
Jason