Re: Training question?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:21:45 +1100

"Myron Murff" <myron_at_delphi.bsd.uchicago.edu> wrote in message news:3A944ABD.AE5589A0_at_delphi.bsd.uchicago.edu...
> Please forgive me if I have posted this question in the wrong group. I
> am a SYBASE dba with 3yrs experience. I am about to start Oracle
> training. According to the Oracle Training site, for Enterprise DBAs,
> the suggested order of training is:
>
> 41015_TCC Introduction to Oracle for Experienced SQL Users - $1560.00
> 30049_TCC Enterprise DBA Part 1A: Architecture and Administration -
> $2000.00
> 30050_TCC Enterprise DBA Part 1B: Backup and Recovery - $2000.00
> 30052_TCC Enterprise DBA Part 2: Performance and Tuning - $2500.00
> 30051_TCC Enterprise DBA Part 3: Network Administration - $1000.00
> 23015_TCC Data Modeling and Relational Database Design - $1960.00
>
> The way classes are scheduled in the Chicagoland area I would not be
> able to take the "Introduction" course until April, yet "Part1A" is
> available next week (02/26/01). I was told by an Oracle staffer, whom I
> was connected with after asking for someone who could answer questions
> regarding training and classes, that the Introduction was not really
> necessary for someone with SQL experience and that I should feel
> compfortable starting at "DBA Part 1A". Does anyone here have any
> feelings/concerns or cautions about this? Will I end up having a lot of
> unfamiliar terms and concepts thrown at me if I fore go the
> "Introduction"
>
> Myron

Hi Myron,

Since I train the DBA stream in Sydney, I can wholeheartedly endorse the advice you've already been given. The SQL course is for people with very limited knowledge of SQL to begin with, and in any event, knowing SQL backwards is not a requirement for any of the main DBA courses (any SQL you are required to type in for those courses is printed in full at the back of the course material... but I can tell you now that it rarely gets beyond 'select * from EMP' until Chapter 9, and at that point, the SQL sometimes becomes so convoluted that I defy anyone to knock it up from scratch, however many SQL courses they've attended.

So save $1500, and hie thee to the DBA 1A and 1B courses straightaway. I'd recommend you plan on going to Performance Tuning only after a good few months of playing around with the system. Networking is a trivially easy course, and you could schedule that one at any time -but again, I'd leave a few weeks at least after Backup and Recovery.

DBA and Backup and Recovery are the two key ones for beginners, and those two should be done fairly swiftly after each other.

Have fun,
HJR Received on Wed Feb 21 2001 - 17:21:45 CST