Re: STATE columns - bitmap index or not?

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:18:05 GMT

In article <968n4c$tqh$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   dmnwork_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Should a STATE column be indexed using a bitmap index or b-tree index?
> Is 50 too high a cardinality to consider using a bitmap index? Any
 rule
> of thumb here, or should I create both types of index and "set timing
> on" to test the speed of queries using that index?
>
> Clearly, a GENDER column with only two unique values would be an
> unambiguous candidate for a bitmap index; past what number does the
> utility of a bitmap index provide diminishing returns?
>
> Thanks very much.
>
> - Dana

I think the answer depends on how many different state values will likely exist in the table? And how much update activity exists on the table? Since a bit map entry covers multiple rows the presence of bitmap indexes on an updated table can adversely affect update performance. Also bitmap indexes are most useful when they can be combined with another bitmap index so if the queries that reference the state column only reference the state column or the state and unindexed columns then they is no reason to use a bitmap over a b-trieve index.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/