Re: STATE columns - bitmap index or not?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 16:12:19 -0000

consider bitmap indexes only for low cardinality columns that have a low frequency of insert/update/delete activity. In other words its the two conditions cardinality and rate of chanmge of data that need to be considered.

As for beyond when do bitmaps become ineffective, I haven't done or seen any research on this, but would expect (in other words your mileage may vary) the limit to be some percentage of the number of rows in the table. in other words I'd expect state to be a good candidate for a 10 billion row table and a very poor one for a 250 row table.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA