Re: Changing TEMP tablespace from type PERMANENT to type TEMPORARY

From: <dmnwork_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 14:23:29 GMT

> On an Oracle 8.0.5. database, someone made the TEMP tablespace to be
> type PERMANENT. I'd like to change it to type TEMPORARY. Would I need
> to take the database down and put it into mount mode to issue an alter
> tablespace command on it?

Thanks Howard and others.

Turns out that you can't alter the tablepspace type to TEMPORARY unless it is empty; at the very least, Oracle 8.0.5.0.1 won't let you do it.

Any way to safely drop the objects in our temp tablespace while the DB is up? Or should we wait till off-hours, take the database down, bring it up in restricted mode, drop the objects in the tablespace, and then alter tablespace?

I imagine seconds after dropping the objects, new objects might be created - although thankfully, we're doing most of our sorts in memory. Is it possible to alter tablespace type while a tablespace is OFFLINE?

Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Mon Feb 12 2001 - 08:23:29 CST