Re: 8.1.5.vs 8.1.6

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:40:57 +1100

<abcdba_at_direct.ca> wrote in message
> Greetings all,
>
> I'm interested in comments about the stability / functionality /
> performance issues of either 8.1.5 and / or 8.1.6 along with any
> patches.

I'm sorry not to have read the rest of your post, but frankly, I don't need to. 8.1.5 is a dog of a product that is clearly the first release of a new version. It is, shall we say, "feature laden" -and not always the features that you (or indeed Oracle) would expect.

8.1.6 everytime, and don't even think about it.

I'll give you just one example from personal experience: configuring for automatic Instance registration with the Listener for 8.1.5: if there are three spaces and then an open bracket one one particular line in the .ora file, it won't register. If there are 4, it will. In 8.1.6, the number of spaces is immaterial.

That kind of pernicketyness I can't cope with, I'm afraid.

Regards
HJR