Re: Help : REMOTE_DEPENDENCIES_MODE = SIGNATURE

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:23:36 +0800

David wrote:

> I have a problem with calling stored procedures in database Oracle Server
> 7.2
> from Forms 6i. It seems that database uses REMOTE_DEPENDENCIES_MODE =
> TIMESTAMP,
> because I always received error with timestamp at compiled form while I had
> changed
> and recompiled stored procedure that form is calling a didn't recompiled
> form simultaneously.
>
> I really can't recompile all sources each time I change something in any
> stored procedure.
> I had searched manuals and found that I can set initial database parametr
> REMOTE_DEPENDENCIES_MODE instead TIMESTAMP to SIGNATURE
> and It would probably solved my problem but you can set this parametr only
> to Oracle8
> and Oracle 7.2 whitch I use doesn't know this.
>
> Could someone help me please to avoid checking TIMESTAMPs.
> It is really importent to me. But do not advice me to upgrade database to
> Oracle8
> because our application is made in character forms30 and you can't run it at
> Oracle8
> at all. Only small part of our system is made in developer2000 6i that makes
> my headache.
>
> I would really appreciate any help and suggestions.
> Maybe Sybrand Bakker knows the sollution and mights help me instead of
> nagging people for crossposting. :)
>
> Thanx
>
> David

Couple of options...

  1. An undocumented mode of compilation is

alter ... compile timestamp '....'

run and export/import, take a peak at the dump file and you'll see the exact syntax you need

b) Look at sticking everything in packages and compiling only the bodies (not the headers). I would recommend this for any production instance to avoid all of the dependency issues.

HTH
Connor

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"