Re: looking for migration tips...

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 00:29:24 +0000

gdas_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <93rn3b$bb324$4_at_ID-62141.news.dfncis.de>,
> "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
> >
> > <gdas_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:93r8fn$kp9
 $1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am running Oracle 8.1.6 on NT and my task is to convert
> > > the

 current
> > > database from Oracle Enterprise edition (8.1.6) to Oracle
> > > Standard edition.
> > >
> > > We have a development license that allows us to use
> > > Enterprise
> > > Edition. However, we noticed a price difference of about
> > > $200,000

 for
> > > enterprise edition vs. standard edition for commercial
> > > use. I've looked over the documentation that details the
> > > differences between

 the
> > > two versions and our application does not use any of the
> > > features

 that
> > > are available in Enterprise edition only. However, I want
> > > to do a sanity check and make sure we run ok on standard
> > > edition...
> > >
> > > Can anyone provide me with what the best steps are to take

 perform
> > > this migration?
> > >
> > > I'm a newbie, but I figured that I should do the
> > > following:
> > >
> > > 1. Do a full Export of the current database to one or more
> > > dmp

 files.
> > > 2. make a copy of the init.ora file
> > > 3. uninstall Oracle Enterprise Edition.
> > > 4. Delete all the redo and tablespace data files if any
> > > are left
> > > hanging around after the uninstall.
> > > 5. Install Standard Edition
> > > 6. Reconfigure the Database specific parameters (redo
> > > logs, temp
> > > tablespaces, init.ora)
> > > 7. Recreate the data and index tablespaces
> > > 8. Recreate the application users and assign their default
 tablespaces
> > > 9. Import the database from the dmp files.
> > > 10.Create all the indexes (I have a script that does
> > > this). 11.Create all stored procedures, triggers and
> > > sequences (I think

 this
> > > might be taken care of with the export/import though).
> > > 12.Gather statistics for all indexes and tables for the
> > > CBO.
> > >
> > > Do I have all the steps correct? Did I miss anything? Or
> > > is there perhaps an easier/quicker way to convert an
> > > Enterprise edition db

 to a
> > > standard edition db?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Gavin
> > >

> > > Sent via Deja.com
> > > http://www.deja.com/
> >
> > There are *NO* differences in database format.
> > So, YES, if you want to clean up your database, you do need
> > all those

 steps.
> > However, they are completely unnecessary for your downgrade.
> > Just make a backup, deinstall your current software, and
> > install the standard edition and you should be OK.
> >
> > Hth,
> >
> > Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> I went ahead and performed the downgrade. Everything went
> well except
> for one oddity. All my PL/SQL (procedures and triggers) were
> marked
> invalid after the reinstall. Once I recompiled all of them,
> everything seemed to be completely back to normal. Not knowing
> what else had changed, I recovered my backup control, data
> files and redo logs and all was well. Does anyone know what
> exactly happened? (running 8.1.6 on NT)
>
> Thanks
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

When you installed Standard Edition the creation times for the executables were later than the creation times of the procedures and triggers. As a result the procedures and triggers were marked invalid.

--
Jerry Gitomer
Once I learned how to spell DBA, I became one