Re: looking for migration tips...

From: <gdas_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 16:20:24 GMT

In article <93rn3b$bb324$4_at_ID-62141.news.dfncis.de>,   "Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

> <gdas_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:93r8fn$kp9
 $1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am running Oracle 8.1.6 on NT and my task is to convert the
 current
> > database from Oracle Enterprise edition (8.1.6) to Oracle Standard
> > edition.
> >
> > We have a development license that allows us to use Enterprise
> > Edition. However, we noticed a price difference of about $200,000
 for
> > enterprise edition vs. standard edition for commercial use. I've
> > looked over the documentation that details the differences between
 the
> > two versions and our application does not use any of the features
 that
> > are available in Enterprise edition only. However, I want to do a
> > sanity check and make sure we run ok on standard edition...
> >
> > Can anyone provide me with what the best steps are to take to
 perform
> > this migration?
> >
> > I'm a newbie, but I figured that I should do the following:
> >
> > 1. Do a full Export of the current database to one or more dmp
 files.
> > 2. make a copy of the init.ora file
> > 3. uninstall Oracle Enterprise Edition.
> > 4. Delete all the redo and tablespace data files if any are left
> > hanging around after the uninstall.
> > 5. Install Standard Edition
> > 6. Reconfigure the Database specific parameters (redo logs, temp
> > tablespaces, init.ora)
> > 7. Recreate the data and index tablespaces
> > 8. Recreate the application users and assign their default
 tablespaces
> > 9. Import the database from the dmp files.
> > 10.Create all the indexes (I have a script that does this).
> > 11.Create all stored procedures, triggers and sequences (I think
 this
> > might be taken care of with the export/import though).
> > 12.Gather statistics for all indexes and tables for the CBO.
> >
> > Do I have all the steps correct? Did I miss anything? Or is there
> > perhaps an easier/quicker way to convert an Enterprise edition db
 to a
> > standard edition db?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gavin
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/
>
> There are *NO* differences in database format.
> So, YES, if you want to clean up your database, you do need all those
 steps.
> However, they are completely unnecessary for your downgrade.
> Just make a backup, deinstall your current software, and install the
> standard edition and you should be OK.
>
> Hth,
>
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

I went ahead and performed the downgrade. Everything went well except for one oddity. All my PL/SQL (procedures and triggers) were marked invalid after the reinstall. Once I recompiled all of them, everything seemed to be completely back to normal. Not knowing what else had changed, I recovered my backup control, data files and redo logs and all was well. Does anyone know what exactly happened? (running 8.1.6 on NT)

Thanks

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Fri Jan 19 2001 - 10:20:24 CST