Re: looking for migration tips...

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 08:37:40 +0100

<gdas_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:93r8fn$kp9$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am running Oracle 8.1.6 on NT and my task is to convert the current
> database from Oracle Enterprise edition (8.1.6) to Oracle Standard
> edition.
>
> We have a development license that allows us to use Enterprise
> Edition. However, we noticed a price difference of about $200,000 for
> enterprise edition vs. standard edition for commercial use. I've
> looked over the documentation that details the differences between the
> two versions and our application does not use any of the features that
> are available in Enterprise edition only. However, I want to do a
> sanity check and make sure we run ok on standard edition...
>
> Can anyone provide me with what the best steps are to take to perform
> this migration?
>
> I'm a newbie, but I figured that I should do the following:
>
> 1. Do a full Export of the current database to one or more dmp files.
> 2. make a copy of the init.ora file
> 3. uninstall Oracle Enterprise Edition.
> 4. Delete all the redo and tablespace data files if any are left
> hanging around after the uninstall.
> 5. Install Standard Edition
> 6. Reconfigure the Database specific parameters (redo logs, temp
> tablespaces, init.ora)
> 7. Recreate the data and index tablespaces
> 8. Recreate the application users and assign their default tablespaces
> 9. Import the database from the dmp files.
> 10.Create all the indexes (I have a script that does this).
> 11.Create all stored procedures, triggers and sequences (I think this
> might be taken care of with the export/import though).
> 12.Gather statistics for all indexes and tables for the CBO.
>
> Do I have all the steps correct? Did I miss anything? Or is there
> perhaps an easier/quicker way to convert an Enterprise edition db to a
> standard edition db?
>
> Thanks,
> Gavin
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

There are *NO* differences in database format. So, YES, if you want to clean up your database, you do need all those steps. However, they are completely unnecessary for your downgrade. Just make a backup, deinstall your current software, and install the standard edition and you should be OK.

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA Received on Sun Jan 14 2001 - 01:37:40 CST