looking for migration tips...

From: <gdas_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 04:04:09 GMT

Hi,

I am running Oracle 8.1.6 on NT and my task is to convert the current database from Oracle Enterprise edition (8.1.6) to Oracle Standard edition.

We have a development license that allows us to use Enterprise Edition. However, we noticed a price difference of about $200,000 for enterprise edition vs. standard edition for commercial use. I've looked over the documentation that details the differences between the two versions and our application does not use any of the features that are available in Enterprise edition only. However, I want to do a sanity check and make sure we run ok on standard edition...

Can anyone provide me with what the best steps are to take to perform this migration?

I'm a newbie, but I figured that I should do the following:

  1. Do a full Export of the current database to one or more dmp files.
  2. make a copy of the init.ora file
  3. uninstall Oracle Enterprise Edition.
  4. Delete all the redo and tablespace data files if any are left hanging around after the uninstall.
  5. Install Standard Edition
  6. Reconfigure the Database specific parameters (redo logs, temp tablespaces, init.ora)
  7. Recreate the data and index tablespaces
  8. Recreate the application users and assign their default tablespaces
  9. Import the database from the dmp files. 10.Create all the indexes (I have a script that does this). 11.Create all stored procedures, triggers and sequences (I think this might be taken care of with the export/import though). 12.Gather statistics for all indexes and tables for the CBO.

Do I have all the steps correct? Did I miss anything? Or is there perhaps an easier/quicker way to convert an Enterprise edition db to a standard edition db?

Thanks,
Gavin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Sat Jan 13 2001 - 22:04:09 CST