Standby database and skipping lost Archive Redo Log

From: <kkarns8565_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 05:59:18 GMT

We're running Oracle 8.1.6.1.1 on a pair of SunOS 5.7 boxes in a standby architecture.

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to make a standby database skip an Archive Redo Log?

This past three day weekend I found out that a 'hiccup' on our standby database early Friday
evening went undetected until Tuesday. Because we didn't change the tapes out on Monday,
(Boy, would an autochanger be nice!) and because our backup procedure purges Archive Redo Logs
after 48 hours we found ourselves without an Archive Redo Log that we needed on the standby
server.

Is there an easy way to make the standby database skip this particular log file file, or will I
be forced to re-initialize the standby database in order to get things back in sync? I happen
to know that there are no transactions in this log file that are important.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Fri Jan 19 2001 - 23:59:18 CST