Re: Login delay

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:11:18 GMT

There are lots of reasons why your connect time is longer than usual. First, how are your service names being resolved? Have you asked your Network Admins to trace the problem for you?

Most people who develop large scale web applications maintain "persistent connections" to the database. The web server opens a couple of connections to the database when the web server starts. These connections do not go away unless the web server is brought down. Any web traffic goes through these persistent connections. This way, each HTML request does not need it's own connection. This does two things: 1) speed HTML requests since a new connection is not needed and 2) reduce the overall number of connections to the database, thus reducing resources (i.e. memory).

HTH,
Brian

timf97_at_earthlink.net wrote:

> I have installed Oracle 8.1.6 Enterprise Server on a laptop with the
> following specs:
> 800 MHz
> Pentium III
> 256M memory
> 20G HD
>
> The probnlem is that logging into the database takes app. 13 sec.
> every time I have to open a new session (SQLPlus, DBA Studio, or
> whatever).
>
> I know that it doesn't sound like much, but I have an application that
> needs to login everytime that it puts out an HTML page, and 13 seconds
> plus the actual DB access does end up being a long time.
>
> Does anybody have suggestions or know where documentation on this
> would be located?

Brian Peasland
Raytheons Systems at
  USGS EROS Data Center