Re: Can I upgrade from one version of Oracle to another without uninstalling?

From: /dev/null <bitbucket0611_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 19:59:45 +0100

> I'm going to install Oracle Enterprise 8.1.5 for Win NT 4.0. I
> already have an Oracle 7.3.3 Server for Win NT database installed on
> my computer. Can I just install 8.1.5 over top or do I need to scrap
> the old install of 7.3.3 and then install 8.1.5? Any help is
> appreciated. Thanks!

You can install the new software in the same oracle_home and use the migration assistant to migrate the database. This leaves you with al lot of old exe's in your oracle_home/bin but is the easyest way.

You can install the new oracle software in a new oracle_home and migrate using the migration assistent. Afterwards you can clean the old oracle_home.

You can export your database. Remove oracle, install new version, create a database and import the database.

Check technet.oracle.com and the installation cd (migration manual) for more detailed information .

Rob.