Re: RAID Newbie question...

From: <dmoharir_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:49:35 GMT

In article <A3C801763DAFD411A57900508B9AAF972941_at_HEARTOFGOLD>,   kfrendo_at_bvb.gi (Kelly-Anne Frendo) wrote:

> I think you may be getting the same confusion that I had a few weeks
 back.
> (Check for answers to my question on RAID 5 on this newsgroup - it may
 help
> clarify matters)
>
> I am new to Oracle, but I was clear with the concept of different
 files, etc
> on their own physical disks, e.g. log file members/groups, indexes,
 data,
> etc. Then I was confused because the use of RAID seemed to ignore all
 this
> completely.
>
> The way I see things now, is that if you use RAID5, the
 recommendations for
> different physical disks for different Oracle things go down the drain

K,

it is bad idea to use RAID 5 where sequential writes/write intensive tasks are needed.
E.g. in case of oracle - redo logs. other things like temp tablespace , rbs also do not do well with RAID5.

but theorotically, read inetensive tasks benifit from RAID 5. E.g. if u have database which is 'read only' during the week and data is loaded on weekends, it may see a good performace during the week with RAID 5 for data and indexes.

so u can always use RAID 5 for data and indexes depending on the application but make sure
to put write intensive things like redo, rbs, temp on plain disks with no RAID or if u want security use mirroring but not RAID5.

BTW, what is ur environment ? OS, oracle version ? type of app ? hope this helps,

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Jan 11 2001 - 10:49:35 CST