Re: RAID Newbie question...

From: Lehmann <Spaceboy_NOoneSPAM_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:35:29 +0100

Hi

Raid 5 will create one disk available for you, which in some operation systems can be divided into several filesystems.

BUT: Raid 5 is ot optimal for running a database. You might get some security but not performance, because of the nature of disk I/O. What you should do is to ask your manager for more disks and make and raid 0+1 solution. This is more expensive, but performance us much better and you gor the security of the mirror.
What OS are we talking about. Knowing this might give me some ideas of what you could do.

> If so, how does a DBA allocate his/her database on this array?
The DBA must have RW access to the disksystem/filesystem ofcouse. Oracle uses normal filesystem files (if raw devices aren¨t used) like anything else. My guess is that we are talking Windoze NT/2000, right? If this is true your datafiles might be allocated on D: - where D: is a RAID 5 disksystem. BTW. remember NEVER use software raid - It's to slow!

Hope this helps
Lehmann

You could check out these raid webpages for more raid info:

http://www.hardwarecentral.com/hardwarecentral/tutorials/36/1/ or
http://ssdweb01.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrls/ramref/ramref5.htm
http://www.sunworld.com/swol-06-1999/swol-06-raid1.html  <-----This is
good!!!