RAID Newbie question...

From: <gdas_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 07:42:46 GMT

Hi,
I'm hoping someone can help. I've been doing alot of reading of RAID stripping levels and everything seems clear (but no hands-on experience yet).

I'm still somewhat confused as to how Oracle and RAID 5 work together. I've read several posts on this newsgroup and even read the white papers at orapub.com, but I'm confused on one thing still.

If you are running a raid 5 array, it is my understanding that all the disks in the array appear as one single logical disk. Is that true?

If so, how does a DBA allocate his/her database on this array?

I've got it fixed in my mind that I need to put data on their own physical disks, indexes on their own and temp/system/rollback on their own.

If I have 4 physical disks, this is easy to do. But if I have a RAID 5 array where the entire array appears as one logical disk, what do I do?

Does this mean that I need 4 separate arrays? I believe you need at least 3 disks for raid 5...so this means 12 disks? Is that correct?

I've read alot about when to and when not use different stripping levels. I'm asking this question from a purely academic perspective... Let's say for some reason that you have made the choice to implement oracle on a raid 5 array. How is it done?

Thanks for any help.
Gavin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Jan 09 2001 - 01:42:46 CST