Re: tasks of ORACLE DBA

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 16:02:24 GMT

In our last gripping episode "Greg Kainz" <gregkainz_at_home.com> wrote:
> Sorry - backups are just wasted tape until they've been tested by a
> restoration... :-)
> "Uh, boss, we got backups up the wazoo, but none of them are
 readable!"

> "Roy Brokvam" <roy.brokvam_at_conax.com> wrote in message
> > Some would say:
> >
> > 1. Backup
> > 2. Backup
> > 3. Backup
> > 4. All the other things
> >
> > :)
> >
> > --
> > Roy Brokvam
> >
> > Theory is when you know why it doesn't work.
> > Practice is when it works, but you don't know why.
> > We combine theory and practice;
> > It doesn't work, and we don't know why.
> >
> > ouaatchane76_at_my-deja.com wrote in message <93epg3
 $d8h$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> > >HI,
> > >can anyone tell me what are DBA tasks.
> > >many thanks in advance.
> > >

> > >Sent via Deja.com
> > >http://www.deja.com/

Not necessarily a restoration, but some sort of read verification. Many tape backup utilities offer a 'table of contents' option, where the entire tape is read and the files contained therein are listed. Should any errors crop up on this read one can safely presume the tape is, shall we say, 'toast'.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com