Re: Database in Redhat Linux

From: Victor Wagner <vitus_at_wagner.rinet.ru>
Date: 24 Nov 2000 22:47:57 +0300

In comp.os.linux.misc Freelancer <someone_at_somewhere.world> wrote:
: I need decide which database going to run for Redhat Linux.
: I know MySQL is the most popular one in Linux world. I need
: you help me to fill out the blank and hole (?) in table below.

Its a pity for Linux World, that most hype is done by people who don't know what real database is. So they promote mySQL which is no more than fast flat-file search engine with SQL-like syntax.

It cannot be considered real SQL just becouse SQL stands for Structured Query language, and mySQL doesn't support structured, i.e. nested queries.

But database is much more than just search engine. It also should ensure integrity of data both by enforcing some conditions of them (i.e. foreign keys and triggers) and by rolling failed transactio back to consistent state.

So, only free database is PostgreSQL. But PostgreSQL start to resemble real database only since 7.0 version, becouse before there was no foreign keys. I would consider that it IS a database, not RESEMBLES one only when it begin to support outer joins and binary large objects. Both are scheduled for 7.1.

BTW, Inprise/Borland recently have open sources for Interbase, which IS the database.

: I know Oracle, Sybase, Informix and DB2 support most or all of them in
: UNIX (Solaris, HP-UX, AIX, etc.) But I am
: not sure are they also support in Linux.

All ones you've mention are supported.

--
It's hard to tune heavily tuned code.  :-)
             -- Larry Wall in <199801141725.JAA07555_at_wall.org>