Re: Database in Redhat Linux

From: Anthony W. Youngman <thewolery_at_nospam.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 00:02:44 +0000

In article <8vmgld$om4$1_at_wagner.wagner.home>, Victor Wagner <vitus_at_wagner.rinet.ru> writes
>In comp.os.linux.misc Freelancer <someone_at_somewhere.world> wrote:
>: I need decide which database going to run for Redhat Linux.
>: I know MySQL is the most popular one in Linux world. I need
>: you help me to fill out the blank and hole (?) in table below.
>
>Its a pity for Linux World, that most hype is done by people who don't
>know what real database is. So they promote mySQL which is no more than
>fast flat-file search engine with SQL-like syntax.

And it's a real pity that there are so many people who think that the only valid type of database is a SQL database.

>It cannot be considered real SQL just becouse SQL stands for
>Structured Query language, and mySQL doesn't support structured, i.e.
>nested queries.

By that argument *NO* database is "real SQL", because SQL is not a datastore - it is a *language* used by the client to talk to the back end.

>But database is much more than just search engine. It also should ensure
>integrity of data both by enforcing some conditions of them (i.e.
>foreign keys and triggers) and by rolling failed transactio back to
>consistent state.

And to me, a database is a complete environment, aka AS/400, Pick, etc. A SQL back-end is to databases what the rear legs are to pantomime donkey - it can stand on its own but is useless without the other half.

>So, only free database is PostgreSQL. But PostgreSQL start to
>resemble real database only since 7.0 version, becouse before there was
>no foreign keys. I would consider that it IS a database, not RESEMBLES
>one only when it begin to support outer joins and binary large objects.
>Both are scheduled for 7.1.

I think you mean the only free *relational* database - which is not the same thing at all. There are much better databases out there. While I would strongly suggest that all database programmers should know relational theory (it helps design immensely), there are a load of far better databases out there. SQL and relational databases put theoretical purity above practicality and functionality, which is why Oracle is such a beast - I could probably write programs that run faster, do more, and handle larger datasets, and all on a system half the size! just because I don't believe "relational is best".

Witches are curious by definition and inquisitive by nature. She moved in. "Let
me through. I'm a nosey person.", she said, employing both elbows.
Maskerade : (c) 1995 Terry Pratchett