Re: Oracle/VMS performance problems with Multithreaded Server

From: Gord Coulman <nospam_gcoulman_at_ccinet.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 19:57:02 GMT

There are a lot of different ways to run Oracle on OpenVMS or other platforms:

  1. Terminal (character based). I doubt you want to go back there.
  2. 2 tier client/server. Oracle Forms, Reports, etc runs on the client machine. This works fine, but you must install the software on the client. Oracle does not have a reliable way of automating this client installation. Bit of a pain if you have a lot of them. Not terribly scalable. Also, you need some kind of fileserver (any will do) for a central repository for your .fmx and .rdf files.
  3. 3 tier client/server. This is where Oracle Application Server (Forms server is a sub-set) comes in. The form runs on the middle layer (usually NT or unix). The client uses only a browser. Advantages: no client software install, very scalable, looks just like Forms to your users. Disadvantages: More effort to set up initially, some forms will need adaptation.
  4. PL/SQL 3-tier. Again using Oracle Application Server, but all your application logic lives in your database as stored procedures. The client uses only a browser. This setup is very scalable and very easy to maintain. All you need is a PL/SQL guru. This is my favorite so far (and my users too).
  5. Java. Your Java applets communicate directly with the database server. You still need a webserver, of course. I have not played with this one yet, so I can't comment on how hard or easy the implementation is.
  6. Embedded SQL. Almost forgot this 2-tier method. You can use embedded SQL inside C++ and other code so your applications can communicate with the DB server. Sounds like a lot of work to me.
  7. There are other ways too, like ODBC, OLE, DDE, COM, etc. All fairly complex and needing a lot of client set-up.

Hope that helps,

Gord